Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Help with mother in law, please!?

I'd like to first say that me and my mother in law get along wonderfully, she is nice, and in the ten years weve known each other weve never once even argued. Me and my husband have an 8 month old daughterk, and since then ive noticed some things that i believe she could have some issues with. My mom and dad live in town and my husband father and stepfather also live in town. I have reason to believe that my mother in law is playing "victim" as far as wanting to see our daughter. She lives 5 minutes away from us but my parents who live 30 minutes away from us see her far more often. Its not that my mil doesnt want to see her grandaughter she very much does which is why this is an issue, because she has said i dont want to interfere w/ your moms time. She said this after i asked her why she doesnt call me more to ask to see her grandaughter. I dont feel it is my responsibility to call every single one of my daughters grandparents and ask them to see her. They can all see her as little or as much as they want. Ive told all of them that. When i mentioned to my mom that my mil said "i dont want to interfere w/ your moms time" this really hurt her feelings deeply. My mom said ive never given her any reason to think that. My husbands view of this is that my mil likes to play the poor me role and the victim. She also did this with her own daughter at her grandaughters graduation-the other grandma was there and my mil said i just stayed out of the way so the other grandma could play with them. i said well why couldnt you both have just played with the grandkids she said "i didnt want her to feel like i was in competition". i said why would she think that, why not just play with the kids anyway to this she replied "well she didnt ask me". i am wondering why my mil is this way, she is going to miss out on a close relationship with my daughter because of this. i am always the one who has to call and go over and hang out with the baby. i love her dearly but she is making things difficult for everyone. the problem is not that she doesnt see her grandaughter much, its that she WANTS to see her often but has issues worrrying about what my mom thinks or anyone for that matter. my mom is the nicest sweetest person ever and theyve never had an issue. help, please what would you guys do in my situation, how can i get her to see that playing this victim poor me role is not working and is only hurting her grandaughter? my mil has no idea me and my husband feel this way, except for the one time i mentioned that she can call anytime to see her grandbaby. actually ive said that a couple times.

No comments:

Post a Comment